Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tapetree Raves

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 94 00:14 CDT
Subject: Re: Tapetree Raves
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <Pine.3.05.9408231320.A14720-b100000@atlas.cs.upei.ca> you write:
>I got my tapetree tapes, and I want to say THANKS!!! to everyone who had a
>hand in the project (especially Dave for persuading his boss to let him do
>the dubbing - excellent quality work).

   On behalf of all the people involved, you are welcome.

>Question: where did this stuff come from?? especially the early 80s when
>there were few home VCRs so it's unlikely that the material was taped from
>a broadcast.

   Some of us did have VCRs though. My first Kate taping was shortly after
SNL. I didn't have it for SNL or the repeat, but I taped the videos for
_The Man With The Child In His Eyes_ and _Wuthering Heights_ off of
_Don Kirshner's Rock Concert_. That was (I think) 1980. It was a
top-loading VHS machine with a rotary tuner. Other people had Betamax
machines before that, so yeah, a lot of this stuff was recorded at the
time.

>Supplemental: :) why does (or did) she go on Wogan so much, and not a more
>music-oriented program?

   She liked him, and it was one of her Mom's favorite shows. Kate made
a special point of appearing on his show between albums. She knew that
her Mom would be watching, and he made a special point of asking Hannah
to "get well soon." Sadly, she didn't.

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago
                               chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (his)