Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-26 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Frutopia Conspiracy ;was (Big screen, little screen)

From: bauer@marlowe.cog.brown.edu (Jennifer Bauer)
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 1994 20:20:32 +0500
Subject: Re: Frutopia Conspiracy ;was (Big screen, little screen)
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.uu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <willslvr.23.0001FCF8@xnet.com>, willslvr@xnet.com (Will E.
Silver) wrote:
> I have to say that, despite having music by Kate, I do not like the Frutopia
> ad campaign.
> I mean, here they are litterally spending millions of dollars to
> get us to drink (basically) fructose with coolaide in it. Millions of dollars
> on what... it isn't perticularly good for you, it does nothing for the <mind>
> planet, I am ofended. REALLY offended. This is, after all Minute Maid, which
> is part of the Coca-Cola company.
[deletia]

I have to say, though, the ads for "OK" (also made by Coca-Cola) are
twenty times worse. Basically, both OK and Fruitopia are being sold by the
message, "You're too hip to drink regular stuff." Many yuppies fell for a
similar line in Heineken ads during the 80's ("You're too successful for
domestic beer"), but I think (or at least hope) that people are smarter
than that now. And don't get me started on Zima!

At least Fruitopia's music is good....

--
  Jennifer Bauer, Cognitive & Linguistic Sciences, Brown University
 "All we ever look for: a God, a drug, a great big hug." -KaTe Bush