Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-25 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: De Efteling gravesto

From: Marcel Rijs <100276.2176@compuserve.com>
Date: 17 Aug 94 15:05:14 EDT
Subject: Re: De Efteling gravesto
To: <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>

Hi,

<chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)> writes:

> > Anyway, some readers on this list may remember the discussion
> > weeks ago about the Efteling, and the fact that there would be
> > a gravestone to commemorate Kate's appearance on the grounds of
> > this park.
> > Well, I called back to them and got the following information:
> >
> > "Although a few people still recall the appearance and
> > recording of this special, nothing is known about a
> > commemorative gravestone. We have to assume there is none."
>
> Did they mention if they had gravestones for other famous
> visitors? Well, thanks for checking.

That's what you get for editing out seemingly irrelevant
information :-), but no, the whole phenomenon is unknown at the
Efteling - raising gravestones for visitors. (Sounds a little
macabre for a fairy theme park, too...)

[...]
> > Anyway, I will receive an answer from the AVRO in due time.
> > I'll keep you informed!
>
> Our friend John Riemers tried to track down the original film
> made at De Efteling. The answer he got was that the 16mm film was
> burned to make shelf space. That may have been the "official"
> answer, but many supposedly lost films have wound up in private
> hands. For instance, our copy of the videos came from a copy that
> was dubbed from the copy owned by a former president of
> EMI-America. The actual 16mm film may well be in the US.

First (Strictly to clear up confusion): I was referring to
obtaining a copy from the "Voor de vuist weg" appearance, which no-
one on the face of this earth seems to have.

Then, I dunno when John asked this, but it may also be that the
16mm film has "burned" itself... I recently saw a documentary about
the archives of Dutch programmes, and it seems a lot of material
simply crumbles to dust all by itself.
Another disturbing thing: video recordings from the 80's are
'disappearing' also. There's just not enough money for maintenance,
so tapes which should be run through once every year just sit on
the shelf... and the pictures fade...

On a lighter note though: purely coincidential I saw a fragment of
"Voor de vuist weg" from 1977 in a Dutch TV-program. So I keep
hoping the AVRO will soon give me the message they can (and will)
copy the program for me... (I can't stand the waiting!)

<"Forward, Jonathan" <JForward@SITGBSD1.TELECOM.com.au>> wrote:
> Marcel F G Rijs wrote:
> [snip]
> > Finally, I received a CDsingle from "Kate's Project" today.
> > The track is called "Wuthering Eights", and is a disco/techno
> > adaptation of Kate's debut single. It's an Australian release
> > as far as I can see, tho it's licensed from an Italian company.
> > Any Aussies have more info on this CDsingle???
>
> Well, if it sounds like the garage band from Hell fucking up a
> perfectly good song - yes I've heard it.  If I'm thinking about
> the same version, then disco/techno doesn't describe it. Perhaps
> bloody/awful would be more appropriate.

Seriously though, _is_ this the same version we're talking about?
My version doesn't sound like a garage band at all - it's a bunch
of synths making the WH melody (a classic example of Beauty) sound
flat and uninspired, and a woman screeching the lyrics in the mike
- it sound like it was written up phonetically as to make sure
she'll at least come near the the original words...
(The CDsingle I have actually contains 3 versions - the last one
is, thank god, instrumental. One aggrevation at a time is enough...
:-)

Marcel F G Rijs  /~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\  "Conan the librarian"
                 | mfgr@sara.nl |
    Den Haag     \______________/       Netherlands