Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re[2]: Frutopia

From: bmiller@zdlmail.ziff.com (Miller, Ben)
Date: Mon, 08 Aug 94 11:28:36 PST
Subject: Re[2]: Frutopia
To: uunet.uu.net!rec-music-gaffa
Encoding: 1091 Text

Miller, Ben (bmiller@zdlmail.ziff.com) wrote:

: In general, I am at the same time skeptical and disturbed regarding this Kate
: commerical news.

Phil Dahl writes:

>>I see a big difference between writing music for the purpose of making an
>>ad, on the one hand, and letting your music be used for ads after people
>>have come to like it in another context.  I hate Nike and Sun Chips for
>>using Beatles songs in their ads.

I agree completely, there is a big differnece.  Certainly, this is not the first
time Kate has done work for "other people", if you consider the songs she has
written for films in that category.  One of my all time favorite Kate songs,
"This Woman's Work" among them. But still, there is a great difference between a
film and a commercial in my mind at least.  I think its the fact that its a
commercial bothers me.

The Nike and Sun Chip ads were abhorrent.  If I ever hear Campbell's Soup use
"Mother Stands for Comfort" on an ad I'll go running down the street screaming.

Ben Miller
bmiller@zdlmail.zdlabs.ziff.com