Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Frutopia

From: asteg@k12.ucs.umass.edu (Albert Steg (Winsor))
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 1994 04:15:39 GMT
Subject: Re: Frutopia
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@k12.ucs.umass.edu (USENET News System)

In a previous article, bmiller@zdlmail.ziff.com (Miller, Ben) says:

>I have heard a couple Fruitopia commercials on the radio here in Northern
>California, but I don't remember what if any music was playing in the
>background.  I tend to stop paying attention when commercials air.
>
>In general, I am at the same time skeptical and disturbed regarding this Kate
>commerical news.  To my knowledge, she has never lent her talents to advertising
>uses before, save for the Seiko watch ad in Japan, lo those many years ago.  I
>tend to like and admire musicians who are not commercial in either the popular
>sense or in their willingness to sell their talents advertising or commercial
>purposes. I like to place Kate at the top of that list (as well as many others).

I agree with you in general.  It was disappointing to see Clapton lending
his backlog to beer commercials.  I do see a world of difference though,
between letting one's recorded tracks be used for commercial backgaroun
music and actually scoring original music for a commercial purpose. It would
be predictably irritating to hear "Eat the Music" as a commercial filler for
Hawaian Punch, but perhaps interesting to hear what she might come up with
for a pre-recorded series of images (ala "This Woman's Work" , yes?).

Whatever opinions come up on the "goddess" issue here, KB will lose a lot of
her transcendency if I ever hear the "mmmm.....YES" passages from "The
Sensual World" behind an ad for Snickers (or even Cadbury's chocolate, for
that matter.....).

Albert
--
"When it was proclaimed that the Library contained all books,the
first impression was one of extravagant happiness. All men felt