Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: women as Kate-fans

From: Mary Helen Sowell <mhs3c@darwin.clas.virginia.edu>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 1994 00:55:20 GMT
Subject: Re: women as Kate-fans
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@murdoch.acc.virginia.edu

"Reynolds, Tom"  writes:
> Re: the persons who wrote:
>
> >]My roommate's girlfriend in college was the only female I've
> >]ever known to be a Kate fan.  Any ideas?  Or is it just me?
>
> >I don't know what it is.  I have known only one woman who
> > liked *any* sort of "alternative" music (she was right into
> > Nina Hagen).  Maybe men's brains process music differently.
> > Who knows.
>
> My wife said [smugly] last night as I was transfixed by the Lovehounds
> tapes, something like "You know, only guys are obsessed with Kate Bush like
> you are."  To which I replied [smugly], "Huh! Lots of women are on the
> Lovehounds group and send gushing notes of adoration about Kate."

You got that right, Tom!

As for myself I am a woman who wholeheartedly admires Kate: for
her multi-level musical genius, her poise, her dancing and
choreography (sp?), her wit, and her general attitude about life.

You mentioned something about how Kate encourages expressing
sensuality, and this is no doubt another draw.  So many modern
feminists are of the whining, men-hating mentality, who try to
obliterate any terms that refer to a specific gender and disregard
those who think otherwise as being against progress.  Sadly this
has inspired an entire generation of well educated young women
(mine:( ) to be unaware of just how much fun femininity can be
and how important men are to art, culture, and technology.

Here is where Kate comes in; she demonstrates that women can be
very intelligent and successful while still being sensuous and
beautiful.  She belives that "feminine energy can be wonderful
without being something it's not." (Pardon my paraphrasing and
drudging up an old quote.)

For this reason, I think women should especially admire Kate.
It's just another to add to the list, of course.  :)

Faith Sowell, aka Mary Helen

"I sit here in the thunder, the green on the gray, I feel it
all around me..."KTB a "Under The Ivy"

p.s.  The tapetree tapes are absolutely mesmerizing.  A HUGE
thanks to all!