Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-23 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Lip-synch performances

From: asteg@k12.ucs.umass.edu (Albert Steg (Winsor))
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 1994 15:53:54 GMT
Subject: Lip-synch performances
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@k12.ucs.umass.edu (USENET News System)

	Why is it that so many of Kate's performances on the tapetree
collection are lip-synched, rather than live?  Is it simply a British TV
tradition that popular artists don't get to perform "live"?  I recall that
when Howard Jones actually sang live on _Top of the Pops_ in '84 it was
unusual, and that a newer show featured more live performnaces (The Tube
--witness here Kate's live "Under the Ivy"). I suppose that TOTP had the
problem of needing to get sveral acts on and off quickly.

	But what about talk-show performances like the _Aspel_ and _Wogan_
tracks?  I can understand lip-synching "Experiment IV" --but "Moments of
Pleasure" and "This Woman's Work"?  They've lugged a grand piano out there
for her, so what else is needed?  The "Moments" performance is very pretty
anyway, and brought the closing section alive for me --all those "Hellos"
are very moving, in a similar way to the closing section of "The Morning
Fog" that lists all the importantpeople she's ggoing to "tell how much she
loves them" when she gets home. It also seems almost a reference to the
answer-machine passage in "All the Love."  Those are all goodbyes.

	Anyway, since Kate doesn't tour, these oportunities to hear her
perform a song in person are so precious that it's a little disapointing to
get a lip-synch instead of the real item.

	BTW, why was her powerful live performance of "Breathing" left off
the tapetree collection?  Wasn't it on the same _Comic Relief_ program as
"Do Bears"?  Now that I see requests for further collections showing up,
I'll chime in for this one!  Ah, you people never get a rest, do you?  I was
going to wait at least a few months before suggesting that maybe there are
one or two more tracks someone could scrape together. . . ?  Thanks for a
great pair of compilations, whatever the future may bring.

Albert
--
"When it was proclaimed that the Library contained all books,the
first impression was one of extravagant happiness. All men felt