Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

songs i hate

From: Brian J Dillard <dillardb@student.msu.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 1994 17:05:50 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: songs i hate
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net (lovehounds)

To ronald, who asked several days ago (i've been out of town) if i hate any
kate songs:

yup. eat the music, december will be magic again and that horribly synthesized
candle in the wind.

i hate eat the music because the attemt at an 'ethnic' sound is just so
incredibly cheese-inducing, it makes me embarrassed for kate. the 10-minute
version is excrutiating. kate has given us some labored metaphors before (don't
put your foot on the heartbrake) but at least you could figure them out. eat
the music has this dance-music-sex-fruit sort of metaphor going that says
nothing cuz it's just a jumble, to my mind.

december is just boring, to me. it's quaint, but there's no emotion to it. i
think the term would be precious, in all the worst senses of the word. i just
don't connect.

candle in the wind. . . . well, i just can't imagine kate being some queen
pining after norma jean the way i can imagine elton john. plus i think the
arrangement sounds like muzak.

see . . . . i hate some kate songs, i just don't go calling them crap without
qualifying my opinions, not that i really mind it THAT much when people do
that, and not that i want to start this up again . . .  .

brian dillard