Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Covers projects

From: Marcel Rijs <100276.2176@compuserve.com>
Date: 04 Aug 94 14:43:08 EDT
Subject: Covers projects
To: <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>

Hi,

Connie Lofton <Connie_Lofton@sonymusic.com> writes:
     (interesting node btw...)

> While reading through today's (7/27) digest, I was thinking about
> something that had been posted a couple of days ago to the
> Love-Hounds list which sort of ties in with something going on on
> the RDT (Tori Amos) list. Someone had asked about Kate covers by
> other bands--it interested me because I regularly perform
> "Running Up That Hill" (a popular choice, apparently!) during my
> sets. The reason RDT came to mind was because an enterprising
> subscriber (my apologies, I can't remember his name although I'm
> very sure he subscribes to this list as well) is putting together
> a compilation of Tori covers performed by members of RDT.

Hi ! Well, obviously, that was me. I am setting up the "Tori Covers
Tape project" on rdt. If there's anyone wanting to record a
ToriCover here, (s)he's welcome! Just e-mail me...

> I would imagine there must be more than a fair number of
> musicians out there in Love-Hounds land: has anyone thought about
> putting together a "homemade" tape of Kate covers as performed by
> various Love-Hounds? Just curious...I thought it was a great way
> to fuel the devotional fires as well as spark some creativity.

It is and I can truly recommend this. Obviously, I am too busy
handling the ToriCovers business right now, but I _do_ hope someone
will be able to set something similar up for lovehounds/gaffa.

As for the legal side of things, I believe Drewcifer brought that
one up, I think those problems only come up when one is trying to
profit from someone else's work. This project is not profitable. I
have set things up so clumsily :-} that I even lose money in the
process... But then again, I think it's worth it.

If someone has more information about this legal side of things,
please contact _me_, as I am planning on sending a copy to Tori by
Xmas. I wouldn't want the following reaction:

"Hi, I'm Tori's manager/record company/music publisher/whatever,
and I want $_______ because you lot stole Tori's work"....

I'd rather get the following:

"Hi, I'm Tori and you did fine work... <kisskiss>." Oh well... A
man is entitled to his dreams ain't he?

Please please please, some KaTeFan, come forward and lead us into
temptation!

Marcel F G Rijs  /~~~~~~~~~~~~~~\  "Conan the librarian"
                 | mfgr@sara.nl |
    Den Haag     \______________/       Netherlands