Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: likes and dis...

From: bmiller@zdlmail.ziff.com (Miller, Ben)
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 94 14:32:33 PST
Subject: Re: likes and dis...
To: uunet.uu.net!love-hounds
Encoding: 1839 Text

in article <Pine.3.89.9408021006.B2411-0100000@hardy.u.washington.edu>
Bruce Gordon writes:

 >>The reason I'm writing:  Rocket's tail

 >>This piece is what I would call " a masterwork." For many reasons:

>>First the melding of those Bulgarian women into a venue that is truly
Kate's and not theirown.

>>Secondly, for Kate's ability to use 12/8 "(irish)jig/hornpipe" phrasing
in a song that ends up as neither.

>>Thirdly, David Gilmour

>>Forthly, for her reference to Guy Fawkes (ok history buffs, it's your
turn here...I know, but do you?)

>>Fifthly, and most important, her ability to have this vision and put it
all together, as shrill as it might be.

>>Sixthly, I'm a felinophile, too

>>eightly, I love it when Kate suprises me or make me truly think,"What's
gotten into the lassie to do this?"

I have to agree.  ROCKET'S TAIL is a masterpiece on an album of masterpieces
(IMHO), and Mr. Gordon is very eloquent about this. I wanted to add a couple
more thoughts on the subject.

This is one of those songs that grabs you and keeps you on the edge of your seat
before you even have an inkling of what the song is about.  Cloudbusting is a
good example of that, as well.  The combination of styles in the song is
haunting and effective, adding to the song's mystery.  By mixing of styles I
mean the earlier a capella portion and the later hard-edged section.  They
copliment each other, but you wouldn't expect they would. This song has always
sent chills down my back, and I'm glad to see there are other Love-Hounds who
also perceive its merit.

Re: David Glmour - I think his playing was effective, but a little over done.
When, oh when will Robert Fripp appear on a Kate album?

Thanks for listening,

Ben Miller
bmiller@zdlmail.zdlabs.ziff.com