Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-22 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Happy Katemas & Night Flight

From: asteg@k12.ucs.umass.edu (Albert Steg (Winsor))
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 1994 08:04:30 GMT
Subject: Re: Happy Katemas & Night Flight
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@k12.ucs.umass.edu (USENET News System)

In a previous article, vickie@pilot.njin.net (WretchAwry) says:

>There's one point in the interview where Kate accidentally said "prat"
>and Del and Jay and a couple of other people started laughing, but it
>went completely over our heads until years later when we watched the
>interview at Krys & Peter's place (Homeground Central) and they all
>burst out laughing. I guess "prat" (or is it "pratt"?) is a slang word
>for a silly or stupid person (anyone can correct me if I'm wrong) so
>it seemed to be a Freudian slip on Kate's part, toward this interviewer.
>Once we knew, we all thought "good for Kate!!" that consiously or sub-
>consciously, Kate did get some digs in :-)

I'd spell it "pratt," I think, and yeah, that's a great moment, not least
because it looks like Kate recognized it as a Fruedian slip herself right
away! (At least that's how I like to "read" it).

Another moment worth taking a second look at comes at 5:42:25 (on the Night
Flight clock), wher Kate has just finished responding to some questions abou
her videos ("minimal...stark...bare") and just for the tiniest moment she
glances down and to the right --almost like an involuntary tic. It's as
though for just a moment her dismay at the whole interview flashes through
the accomodating pose.

So, Vickie, what's the story with the very end of the tape?  Did she finally
flatly refuse to humiliate herself by filling in the blanks on the "man"
question?  That's an incredible moment, really.

I found myself imagining Chris Farley doing his Saturday Night Live
"interviewing" persona using that woman's questions just as she posed them.
"GOD! I'm so stupid..."

Albert
--
"When it was proclaimed that the Library contained all books,the
first impression was one of extravagant happiness. All men felt