Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Kate EP

From: uli@zoodle.robin.de (Ulrich Grepel)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 1994 01:15:00 +0200
Subject: Re: Kate EP
To: "Fisher, Carlton D." <SLUMUS!X7E0@uunet.uu.net>
Cc: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

Hi!

> I read somewhere that Kate released an EP at some point between _Never
> Forever_ and _The Dreaming_.  Is this true?  If so, is it still
> available, what's on it, and how does it sound?

Yep, it's true. It's called "On Stage", contains four live songs (Them Heavy
People, Don't Push Your Foot On The Heartbrake, James And The Cold Gun,
L'Amour Looks Something Like You), was availlable on 7" and 12" vinyl from
a huge multitude of countries in a huge multitude of formats (some costing
$5, some $50, some $150 and anything inbetween). It should be easy to find
it on record conventions (at least in Europe) or in Goldmine or Record
Collector ads. The songs can also be found on the second of the two special
CDs from the boxed set This Woman's Work. Sound is of course *GREAT*.

> Also, could anyone
> please send me a list of the artists who have covered Kate's songs and
> the songs that they covered?  Thank you.

Well, as far as I know that list doesn't exist, and it's probably the most
difficult list to get complete, since there are a lot of very local bands
or performers doing cover songs from Kate songs. On the last KonvenTion
in London there were about 4 or so people/bands doing cover versions of
Kate songs which probably haven't been recorded (or at max on the Con
itself). Some of them:

Pat Benatar: Wuthering Heights (from 'Crimes of Passion')
Big City Orchestre - Our Life in the Bush of Kate (an album with 11 covers of Kate)
blue pearl: Running Up That Hill (from 'naked')
Counterparts: The Man With The Child In His Eyes (from 'Straight Ahead')
Dark Orange: The Man With The Child In His Eyes (from 'Sounds of Silent' CD5)
Hue And Cry: The Man With The Child In His Eyes (live, from 'The Best Of Hue And
   Cry, also studio, from 'Violently' CD5)
Sweep & Linda Carriere: Running Up That Hill (4 cover versions on a CD5)
The London Starlight Orchestra: Don't Give Up (2 versions (with/without vocals) on

   samplers)
TILT!: Running Up That Hill (from 'Aliens & Orgasms')
White Flag: Wuthering Heights (from 'Freedom of Choice' sampler)
Ray Shell: Them Heavy People (7", Kate doing backing vocals, anyone have this?)

If you count other people singing the female part of Don't Give Up as a valid
Kate-cover, there are several more not listed here. (e.g. with Sinead O'Connor
[& Sting playing bass] at the Concert For The Kurds)

This list is most definitely very incomplete. Any input would be very welcome
and find it's way into the discography. For example I remember a band calling
themselves Wuthering Eights or somesuch.

You might also want to include two other songs:

Utah Saints: Something Good (uses Kate's voice "I just know that something good
   is going to happen" from Cloudbusting as well as about 30 secs from the video)
Happy Rhodes: Feed The Fire (acoustic tribute version, contains some lyrics/notes
   from Running Up That Hill, "And if I only could, I'd make a deal with god")

Bye,

Uli

--
"Probably the 2GB file limit will be gone by January 2038, when Unix runs out
of seconds, another consequence of using 32-bit integers." - Carl Lowenstein