Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-21 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Pure Pop for Now People

From: steve.b@TQS.COM (Steve Berlin)
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 94 12:41:15 PDT
Subject: Pure Pop for Now People
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

simchik@cs.rochester.edu (Drew Simchik) whines:

>There's no need to be childish.

I know you are, but what am I?

>If "Passing Through Air" is better than "Yes Anastasia", then I'm
>Doctor Who.

Wow!  Can I see your Tardis sometime?  Saying "Passing Through Air" is
better than "Yes Anastasia" is kind of like saying "The Sun is larger
than the planet Pluto."  "Passing Through Air" is one of the best Pop
songs ever written, EVEN BY KATE (my definition of Pop:  Untempo, short
song in verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus form.  For a good non-Kate
example, see Too Much Joy).  Actually, with the possible exception of
Babooshka, it's the ONLY Pop song by Kate I can think of (where then it's
the second best Pop song written by Kate).  Others more pedantic than me
will state most, if not all, of Kate's work is Pop, but that's like calling
"Citizen Kane" a "flick", or the works of Robert Mapplethorpe "Snapshots".

Heavy disclaimer:  Tori is also a Major Deity, and "Yes Anastasia" is
better than 99.9% of the stuff out there.  However, "Passing Through
Air" is not in that 99.9%.

- Stev0 the popped

Unix command of the week:
echo '[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc