Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate story

From: "Fisher, Carlton D." <SLUMUS!X7E0@uunet.uu.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 94 14:31:32 EDT
Subject: Kate story
To: <love-hounds@uunet.uu.net>

Being new to the list I thought that I should explain the details of
how I came to be enthralled with Kate's music.

When I was in eighth grade, a Canadian video show called _Video Hits_
showed the video for "Running Up That Hill" on their Friday request
show.  This was right around the time that _The Sensual World_ came
out.  She had been getting alot of press from _Rolling Stone_ because
of the album, but I had still never heard a thing by her.  When I heard
Running up that hill I fell in love with the song.  I went out that
very weekend and bought a tape of _The Whole Story_ and was instantly
disappointed.  I hated Kate Bush.  I was in eighth grade and my world
revolved around Madonna and George Michael-- Kate Bush just didn't cut
it.  The only songs that I liked on the entire album were "Running Up
That Hill" and "Army Dreamers" and "Wuthering Heights" because Pat
Benatar had done it on her _Crimes of Passion_ album.  Beyond that I
hated the whole thing.  I went through four years of only listening to
"Running Up That Hill", which I had copied onto another cassette, and
that was it.

Then, last summer, I became enthralled with Tori Amos.  _Little
Earthquakes_ spoke to every emotion I was feeling at the time, and I
began to ravenously listen to anything with Tori's name on it.
Somewhere in there I began to remember Kate, and I stumbled across the
CD of _The Hounds Of Love_ one day and bought it on a whim.  All of a
sudden Kate clicked for me.  _The Hounds Of Love_ was quickly folloed
by a CD copy of _The Whole Story_ and then _The Sensual World_.  _The
Red Shoes_ came out and I bought it on the same day that the Columbia
House order of _Never Forever_ came in.  Over Christmas Break I found
_The Dreaming_, _The Kick Inside_, and _LionHeart_.  I also have found
the US CD singles for "Eat the Music", "Rubberband Girl", and the UK
singles of "Moments of Pleasure" and "The Red Shoes (I and II)".  I
love Kate now.  She fits perfectly into my current musical tastes in
which George Michael is a geek who takes himself to seriously and
Madonna's main value is her ability to shock.  Kate has a new and fresh
way of looking at things that really energizes her music and she keeps
me hooked.  This weekend I am journeying into Canada to track down
_This Woman's Work_ and anything else that I can manage to find.  Long
live Her Majesty The Cloud Buster and may we all live to become
Rubberband People!!!!!!

Carlton
"Everything that you wanted and everything that you loved will run away
from you."-- Kate