Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Tapetree aai.com unknown (was Re: tapetree cindy is unknown)

From: Angus Rae <angusr@festival.edinburgh.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 1994 12:38:13 GMT
Subject: Re: Tapetree aai.com unknown (was Re: tapetree cindy is unknown)
To: rec-music-gaffa@britain.eu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Bob Kollmeyer (rjk1@cs.wustl.edu) wrote:
: Actually, he got "host not known" just as I would if I sent mail off to that
: address:

: # ping aai.com
: ping: unknown host aai.com
: # nslookup aai.com
: Server:  cs.wustl.edu
: Address:  128.252.165.10
: *** No address information is available for aai.com
: # finger @aai.com
: unknown host: aai.com
: Well, you get the idea....

: So, I (and a few others as well apparently) need a numeric ip address or
: a correct spelling or something.

No you don't - and you wouldn't get a "host unknown" if you mailed to
that address. "aai.com" is not an actual machine, it's just a mail
exchanger entry. If you had tried nslookup like this;

>set type=mx
>aai.com
Server:  cancer.ucs.ed.ac.uk
Address:  129.215.200.7

aai.com preference = 0, mail exchanger = iue.aai.com
iue.aai.com     internet address = 192.190.241.40

and then you can check that the username is correct;

# telnet iue.aai.com 25
Trying 192.190.241.40 ...
Connected to iue.aai.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 iue.aai.com Sendmail 5.0/SMI-SVR4 ready at Fri, 15 Jul 1994 08:35:36
+0500
vrfy cindy
250 <cindy@aai>

So as far as I can tell, there should be no problems at all with this
mail address. But hey, I could be wrong.

--
Angus G Rae				          Biological User Support
3217a James Clerk Maxwell Building	          University of Edinburgh