Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-20 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Konvention Question - Definitive Answer

From: gtp10@cus.cam.ac.uk (Dr G.T. Parks)
Date: 7 Jul 1994 15:21:49 GMT
Subject: Konvention Question - Definitive Answer
To: rec-music-gaffa@britain.eu.net
content-length: 828
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Those who attended the Konvention earlier this year will remember that the
quiz question which supposedly caused the most trouble was "Who directed the
1948 film The Red Shoes?". Most of us answered "Michael Powell" while the
the quizmaster (PDFM) wanted the answer "Michael Powell & Emeric Pressburger".
Well, yesterday I picked up a CD entitled "The Red Shoes - Classic British
Film Music" (for a mere #1.99). (As an aside my main motivation was not
ultra rabid KaTe fanaticism but the fact that the CD contains Ralph Vaughan
Williams' score for the film "Coastal Command" - RVW being my favourite
classical composer.) Anyway, in the booklet there is a copy of the "The Red
Shoes" poster on which can be clearly read "directed by Michael Powell
written by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger". I rest my case.

Geoff Parks