Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-19 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: music industry/bootlegs

From: "Karen L. Newcombe" <kln@crl.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 1994 10:17:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: music industry/bootlegs
To: love-hounds@uunet.uu.net

The music industry has much bigger problems right now than some fellow in
the outback making a couple hundred CDs of a badly recorded Kate concert
from the 70s.  India and China, a clutch of South American countries, and
nearly every SE Asian country are churning out MILLIONS (yes, I'm
shouting) of bootleg CDs of official releases in blatant disregard for
western copyright laws.

This is an enormous problem for record companies and they are spending
more money than you and I will ever see in our lifetimes on negotiating
intellectual property agreements with these governments.  Often the
agreements have zero effect on the bootleg operations.

They also have an immense internal problem.  Remember the flap a few
years ago about demos and cutouts being sold in record stores?  The big
record companies insisted this was putting them out of business.  Well,
if that is true, why do they press a half a million demos?  Why not the 2
or 3 thousand that would cover the number of deejays they send them to?
Why not increase accountability for their own distributors who are
selling promotional items to dealers instead of giving them away?

Its all a show of money and bravado.  In all this wheeling and dealing
the small-time bootlegger is a minor problem for record companies.  If
they cared about these folks, they'd issue an official record of the same
material and end the problem right there.

Karen  kln@crl.com