Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Moments of Pleasure

From: chrisw@fciad2.bsd.uchicago.edu (chris williams)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 12:09 CDT
Subject: Re: Moments of Pleasure
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

Bernard McAuley writes:
>A while back I heard that the version of Moments of Pleasure on the Red Shoes
>is actually a cut down version, the original being longer by a minute or so.
>
>Does anyone know if this longer version has been released?

   This is the first I've ever heard of this. I kind of doubt it.
Kate lip-synced the song on the "Wogan" show several months before the
album was released. She may well have written and/or recorded (pretty
much the same thing in Kate way of working) a longer version of the
song, but it's really unlikly that a longer version ever crept out.

   Kate has her own studio and a contract with EMI that allows her
complete control over her master tapes. EMI only gets the tapes that
she gives them, so if she never produced a longer version of a song
for actual release, they probably don't have it, and for all practical
purposes it doesn't exist.

   EMI has tightened up their security in recent years following the
leakage of all that Beatles stuff. Great article in _The New Yorker_
several years ago about the Beatles official archivist, the only
person other that John, Paul, George, Ringo and George to have
heard every single second of their work on tape. *He* has not been
allowed access to the tapes since the original complete cataloging
several years ago. If he wants to hear a tape, he has to submit a
request. The next day that single tape is delivered to the only
studio at EMI that can still play the old three track master tapes
and then returned.

   Hmmm....IED *needs* a job...

                          Chris Williams of
                             Chris'n'Vickie of Chicago