Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-18 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Moving in Japan

From: i23mikja@ida.his.se (Mikael Jakonen)
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 94 13:28:59 +0200
Subject: Re: Moving in Japan
To: love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

uli@zoodle.RoBIN.de (Ulrich Grepel) Writes:

>Has someone else thought about whether the fact that Moving was chosen as the
>very first Kate Bush single in Japan might have to do something with whaling in
>Japan?

First I thought this was a sarcastic comment about japaneese whale hunters,
implying that the public might not like too much wailing.   ;^)

Then I remembered the whale song in the beginning of Moving, it has
to be a cultural thing. Before the industrialization the Japaneese people
depended heavily on fishing, and since the whale is the biggest creature
living in the sea, it's only natural that it becomes important in stories
and myths.

Mikael Jakonen                                Cool people wear colour-shades
                                     REALLY COOL people wear colour-contacts
i23mikja@ida.his.se                                    Live Long and Prosper