Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Kate Is GOD!

From: mas@csa.bu.edu (Mark A. Semich)
Date: 25 May 1994 04:32:45 GMT
Subject: Kate Is GOD!
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

I must confess:  After seeing Kate's movie, "The Line, The Cross & The
Curve," the prattle of a handful of stentorian naysayers began to worm
its way into my brain and I began to doubt.

But now that I have experienced "You Want Alchemy," I realize the
error of my ways and recant:  Yes, KATE IS GOD!

This song is pure genius.  At first, I was tempted to mention a few of
the allusions and musical forms and other such aspects of this piece
that I enjoy, but I then realized that such scientific analysis of
Kate Misses The Point and performs a Great Injustice to Her work.
Therefore, I will let it speak for itself:

Lyrical content follows
-----------------------
Apologies if someone has already posted this, but I don't recall
seeing it.  This is my preliminary take on the lyrics.  There is quite
a bit that I am unsure of, so any corrections would be most welcome:

	Another lonely afternoon
	On a cloudbusting kind of day
	We took our own mystery tour
	And got completely lost
	Somewhere up in the hills

	And we came upon a bee-keeper
	And he said,

	"Did you know they can't change it all?
	 You want alchemy
	 You turn the roses into gold
	 You turn the lilac into honey
	 You're makin' love for the peaches"

	And we're thinkin'
	Who is this guy?
	Is he some kind of nut or what?

	He said, "I don't meet many people,
	I'm very busy with the hives

	Zzzzzz sun's goin' down
	When's my cloud of bees comin' home?

	They got alchemy
	They turn the roses into gold
	They turn the lilac into honey
	They're makin' love for the peaches

	And they'll do it
	They'll do it for you
	They'll do it
	Do it for you

	And if you see them
	Send them right on home to me"

	<What they gonna do ooo ooo?>

	They gonna aiyyy
	Turn the roses into gold
	And they'll do it for you
	Do it for you

	<What they gonna do ooo ooo?>

	I'll tell ya aiyyyy
	Makin' love for the peaches

	<What they gonna do ooo ooo?>

	Do it ya ya ya ya they're gonna do it baby

	They do it for you
	They do it for you

	And why not?

	They bring me so much pleasure...