Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Musings

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Sat, 21 May 1994 23:46:12 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Musings
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu

Once again "Suspended In Duct Tape <METH@delphi.com>," Meredith writes:

> I'm afraid I was of little to no help to the Love-Hounds B team, alas, just
> as I was of little help to the Love-Hounds team at the last Kon, but hey,
> it was fun. :)

No, no!  You were our Scribe, and the beating heart of our enthusiasm!  *I*
am the one who poisoned the well by getting suckered by nearly everything--
hollering "Under the Ivy!" so fast and confidently for "You know that I'll be
waiting" that no one else's better instincts had time to function.

> Peter M., thanks much for your detailed report.  (In case anyone is
> wondering, Peter Manchester also makes a wonderful and fascinating travel
> companion!)

No good work should pass without its punishment; so thank YOU again Meredith
for getting me onto the very best flight I have ever taken (via Kristie, yes,
but for the rest of my life when I see the Flying Red Lady I will think of
you).  Virgin Atlantic is, as Meredith reminded me, what Virgin Records
became, and it is a fabulous way to fly to London and back.  Personal TV
monitors in the seat back in front of you in economy; free *electronic*
earphones for six channels there--two of them movies--and eight audio
channels in the armrest.  Complimentary bar service from the beverage cart,
*good* wine with *good* dinner.  Best of all was Meredith in the seat next to
me, recommending "In the Name of the Father" (powerful film), calling my
attention to channel 4 when Cindi Lauper performed live on the Jack Dee show
--first a compelling "Product of Misery," later a stunning jazzy number--
encouraging me to check out the Cranberries (audio ch. 8, the full album, in
constant rotation with R.E.M. "Automatic for the People; both had their
moments), and at all times being knowledgeable, eager, and wise.

Tell Kristie when you see her that I was *so* pleased with all aspects of the
travel arrangements, above all with Virgin Atlantic, that on the trip home I
bought *two* teeshirts (the Flying Lady, on blue, and the logo, on black),
the Parker pen (an inscrutible object that contains a Jotter refill, but has
no hole at either end through which it can be made to write), the J&B Scotch
commemorative liter for VA's tenth anniversary, *and* the aviator teddy bear!

                                                            Peter Manchester
      "You know that I'll be waiting"          pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu
                                                    72020.366@compuserve.com