Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: MisK.

From: pptjc@vaxk.bton.ac.uk (It's in the trees... It's coming...)
Date: Fri, 20 May 1994 11:42:51 GMT
Subject: Re: MisK.
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@unix.bton.ac.uk

In article <9405191747.AA11646@mollybloom.msfc.nasa.gov>, Mike.Gallaher@msfc.nasa.gov (Mike Gallaher) writes:
>Andrew B Marvick says:
>>which finally identified "WSILY" as the _only_ track with Prince on
>>it (and even there, most of Prince's work had been muted or removed).
>>And now we are hearing that You Want Alchemy, too, is a Prince/KT track!
>
>   I was afraid that my musings would come across like they obviously have
>to IED.  I began with absolute faith in the TRS credits and with Kate's
>explanation of the extent of her collaboration with Prince.  There are still
>some mysteries and facts that have caused me to further ponder the issue:
>
>   1) Who is Gaumont D'Olivera / <John?> Gidman, credited with bass on
>      RBG and drums or bass (depending on source) on BSL?
>   2) Prince has been known to contribute but refuse credit on records.
>   3) There are no instrumentation credits for You Want Alchemy.
>   4) Andy's conjecture that YWA was recorded after TSR is not firmly
>      grounded; the apparent presence of analog elements in the recording
>      would suggest otherwise, and it's hard to picture Kate diving back
>      into the studio so soon after TRS, given what we hear of her work
>      habits.
>   5) There are aspects of some songs, most particularly YWA ("What Choo
>      Gonna Do     -Hoo     -Hooo") that sound more like typical Prince
>      than typical Kate.
>
>   I am not saying that Prince masterminded TRS.  I do not seriously
>believe that D'Olivera is Prince, since these parts were almost certainly
>in-studio contributions, not the indirect tape-trade as described by
>Kate and Del.
>   What I am suggesting is that there may have been one or two other
>tracks on the tapes sent to Kate, and that Kate may have built up new
>songs around them, perhaps ultimately to the point where none of Prince's
>efforts remained in the mix, but a few musical notions remained which had
>been built on, and thus retained, Prince's foundation.  Is this an
>unreasonable scenario?

Peter Chow from Brighton (UK) adds:

I do not think that there was any more going on than the described exchange
of tape. I do not think that there was any direct input from Prince on any
other song apart from WSILY.

What *is* entirely possible is that she may have just had him in the
back of her mind while working. After all, Kate would seem to be at least
fairly into Prince's music as she was at one of his concerts and that is
how she came to make contact in the first place.

The composer Delius had a profound effect on her back in 1979/80 when she
was writing Never Forever. Perhaps it was only the fact that he had been
dead for some time that doused the flames of rumour suggesting that he had
worked with her on other songs appart from his name-sake track. :-)