Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Why WH?

From: pptjc@vaxk.bton.ac.uk (It's in the trees... It's coming...)
Date: Fri, 20 May 1994 12:20:46 GMT
Subject: Re: Why WH?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@unix.bton.ac.uk

In article <2rhclo$pcn@umd5.umd.edu>, jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka) writes:
>In article <Pine.3.05.9405191956.A12712-a100000@atlas.cs.upei.ca> fmcquarr@upei.ca (Fiona McQuarrie) writes:
>
>>I must say though that I don't like the new vocal on The Whole Story.
>>I can appreciate what Kate has said about wanting to redo the vocal
>>so it doesn't sound like a "girl" singing it. In terms of the character
>>of Cathy, that makes sense.
>
>[regarding the new vocal] (re: singing off key)
>
>Kate doesn't miss *anything*.  We've all read about how meticulous she is
>in the studio.  Do you really think that if she hadn't intended for that
>almost-crack in the new vocal to be there, she would have allowed the track
>to be released, particularly as she was considering it a replacement for
>the previous recording?
>

>Jeff
>--
Peter Chow from Brighton (UK) adds:

As for the question of Kate almost missing the note in the new vocal version
of WH, I can't recall it myself but I don't like all that vocal noise during
the outro that interferes with the rather excellent guitar solo that was
always my favourite bit.

Err.. I sense impending death here but...

There have been more that one occasion where Kates production control has
been far from meticulous. Some of her tuning on Lionheart is very dodgy (OK she
didn't produce that album), the recent recording of Candle In the Wind is
another case (have a listen to the first 10 seconds and tell me I'm wrong).
Rocket Man would be a firm favouite of mine were it not for the two (count 'em)
, TWO occasions where Del plays completely the wrong notes on the bass (we're
not talking 'blue' notes here or 'interesting' notes but glaringly obvious
WRONG notes). OK that's his fault but he was engineering and didn't pick it
up and she was producing and didn't pick it up.

The buck stops with the producer.