Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-16 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Top Ten et al

From: nessus@mit.edu (Douglas Alan)
Date: Thu, 19 May 1994 15:32:57 GMT
Subject: Re: Top Ten et al
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@media.mit.edu (USENET News System)

In article <9405182129.AAwqlx14414@relay2.UU.NET> WADD@VM1.YorkU.CA
(Les) writes:

>   Well, I suppose some TD supporters would say that the songs as a
>   whole make the best album whereas alone, they would seem out of
>   place....thus none of them made the top 10.

>   or.....Love-Hounds just seems to attract TD supporters!  :)

Love-Hounds has a lot of Americans on it.  I don't know if there is
something about *The Dreaming* that appeals more to Americans than to
the English, but I do know that while *The Dreaming* was in general
panned by critics in England and was considered a commercial failure
at the time, it received much adulation from critics in the U.S. and
was the first album of Kate's to get her much attention here.
*Lionheart* and *Never for Ever* weren't even released in the U.S. (as
my Canadian pressings will attest) until after *The Dreaming*
generated some interest.

Of course, if Kate had already been a big success in the U.S. when
*The Dreaming* was released, perhaps the reaction to *The Dreaming*
would have been the same as that in England, since the type of person
who reviews commercial musicians is often very different from the type
of person who reviews obscure musicians, and the interpretation of
sales figures for an obscure musician is very different from that for
a big star.

   <nessus@mit.edu>