Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Konvention report

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 May 1994 23:46:59 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Konvention report
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu

Marcel Rijs <100276.2176@CompuServe.COM> writes,

> Peter, you're breaking my heart. ...

In my Convention Report, I wrote the name of the amusement park where the TKI
and other `Dutch TV' videos were made from insufficiently attentive memory.
I will not compound the offense by doing it again, even in confession.

> The park where those clips were filmed is called "De Efteling".
> Please, write it down, memorize it, delete wrong spellings in books
> like the Visual Documentary (which is otherwise a pretty good
> publication) and remember that name. Need I remind you this park is
> the world's best amusement park in the world, even knocking
> Disney World (...that's the right spelling, right?) off that top spot.

No:  its Tisz-(`t' as in Tao) knea (`ea' as in leap), Tizsknea World.  But
ok, point taken.  Definite article is `de' (NOT German `die'), ending is
`ing' (NOT German `-ung').

De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling
De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling
De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling
De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling
De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling
De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling  De Efteling

I guess that's not very impressive penance on the computer, is it?

 DDDD    EEEEE      EEEEE  FFFFF TTTTTT EEEEE  LL    II  NN   NN  GGGG
 DD DD   EE         EE     FF      TT   EE     LL    II  NNN  NN GG   GG
 DD  DD  EEEE       EEEE   FFFF    TT   EEEE   LL    II  NN N NN GG
 DD DD   EE         EE     FF      TT   EE     LL    II  NN  NNN GG  GGGG
 DDDD    EEEEE      EEEEE  FF      TT   EEEEE  LLLLL II  NN   NN  GGGGG G

> I know it's a petty thing, but this is one of those fact-ettes that
> can prove Love-Hounds/Gaffa's worldwideness.  And hey, a _little_ >
> chauvinism on an international forum should be possible, right?

Right.

> Oh, and another thing: the park is situated in Kaatsheuvel, not
> Amsterdam. Not even "near" Amsterdam.

I knew that; that much registered from your last effort to get this straight.
BTW, what does `De Efteling' mean--or is it just a place name?

                                                            Peter Manchester
  "You've got wild animals loose in here!"     pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu
                                                    72020.366@compuserve.com