Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Quiz - Who directed The Red Shoes

From: s0pdfm@assam.exnet.com (P D Fitzgerald-Morris)
Date: Fri, 13 May 1994 17:29:47 GMT
Subject: Re: The Quiz - Who directed The Red Shoes
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <9405131052.AA00784@ginkgo> nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk writes:
>>From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
>>Subject: The Quiz
>>team's 3:  but the correct answer is 7!  NONE of us got the name of the
>>second director of "The Red Shoes" after Michael Powell, though Andy
>>immediately realized that there was a second credit and that his name was the
>>key to the question.
>
>Actually, the correct answer WAS Michael Powell - I believe Peter F-M
>was wrong. It is true that the credits of Powell and Pressburger's films
>always said "Written, produced and directed by Michael Powell and
>Emeric Pressburger". However, Michael Powell was the director and
>Emeric Pressburger was the writer. When the question was read out my
>initial reaction was to tell Andy Semple to write down both names but
>then I said no because Pressburger did not direct (he only directed films
>after he split from Powell).
>
>[Peter F-M - can I have a consolation prize :-) ]

I am not a film buff myself so I can only take as gospel what the various
film guides and reference books say. And the credits on the film itself.
These confirm that the directing credit was "Powell and Pressburger".

It may be that actual roles were split. The official credit is however to
the pair.

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
H  Peter FitzGerald-Morris       H     H   GGGGGGG     "Have       H
H  direct from                   H     H   G            the walls  H
H  HOMEGROUND TOWERS             HHHHHHH   G    GG      got        H
H  now via                       H     H   G     G      ears       H
H  s0pdfm@exnet.co.uk            H     H   GGGGGGG      here...?"  H
H                                                                  H
H         HOMEGROUND - THE INTERNATIONAL KATE BUSH FANZINE         H
H            PO Box 176 Orpington BR5 3NA Kent England             H
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH