Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-15 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Quiz - Who directed The Red Shoes

From: nbc@inf.rl.ac.uk
Date: Fri, 13 May 1994 11:52:14 +0000
Subject: The Quiz - Who directed The Red Shoes
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

>From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
>Subject: The Quiz
>team's 3:  but the correct answer is 7!  NONE of us got the name of the
>second director of "The Red Shoes" after Michael Powell, though Andy
>immediately realized that there was a second credit and that his name was the
>key to the question.

Actually, the correct answer WAS Michael Powell - I believe Peter F-M
was wrong. It is true that the credits of Powell and Pressburger's films
always said "Written, produced and directed by Michael Powell and
Emeric Pressburger". However, Michael Powell was the director and
Emeric Pressburger was the writer. When the question was read out my
initial reaction was to tell Andy Semple to write down both names but
then I said no because Pressburger did not direct (he only directed films
after he split from Powell).

[Peter F-M - can I have a consolation prize :-) ]

>       I don't know what the Norfolk Alchemist's secret is--they are six
>young people, mostly female, and they got 17 out of the 20 questions right--

Well they were saying that it was one of their female members who was the
principal expert.

>but they have beat us love-hounds twice in a row now.  Next time, I say take
>no prisoners!  Field a team of 4, 5, 6, but let's set up to draw from *our*
>strengths.  Delegate someone to write down the questions (the fact that we
>were not organized to do that was a major planning flaw).  And have two or
>three of us bring *fast* laptops with things like The Garden indexed for
>instant access.

I did half-heartedly think of loading The Garden etc. onto my Powerbook,
but I was not sure they would let me in with it. Anyway, given the
length of time available to answer the questions it would have been hard
to do all the look-ups. There is no substitute for actually knowing the
answers. Also, I think there would have been something not quite
right (not cricket you know :-)) about winning thanks to technology.
The Alchemists won fair and square.

Neil
--
Neil Calton                          UUCP:   ..!mcsun!ukc!rlinf!nbc
Informatics Department,              NSFNET: