Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-14 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Yet Another Convention Report

From: gtp10@cus.cam.ac.uk (Dr G.T. Parks)
Date: 11 May 1994 15:00:28 GMT
Subject: Re: Yet Another Convention Report
To: rec-music-gaffa@britain.eu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <CpL7Ku.ys@dcs.ed.ac.uk> s.telford@ed.ac.uk (Scott Telford) writes:

   The fans' performances ranged from an acoustic guitar adaptation of
   RutH (believe me!) to an almost a capella Big Sky with a two-chord
   electric guitar accompanyment by "Loney Planet", to an excellent
   Wuthering Heights by "Rare Flowers".  The aircraft-carrier-style
   elevator built into the stage was used extensively.

I thought Lonely Planet were excellent - they were technically very good
and their interpretations of the KaTe songs they played were interesting.
However, Rare Flowers were awful IMHO - almost all that accompaniment was
programmed (and virtually identical to KaTe's original) and the singer went
horribly out of tune. They might as well have mimed to KaTe's version.

   Despite at least four different Love-Hounds quiz teams, including a
   A-team of IED, Doug, Chris and Uli, the quiz was won by The Norfolk
   Alchemists team again.

Well, I argued in favour of either one mega Love-Hounds team or the
sharing of knowledge between teams, which would have increased our
chances of winning. We might have had the problem of distributing the
prizes among 16 or so, but at least we'd have had the prizes. I can
console myself with the thought that the Love-Hounds B Team (Alanna,
Meredith, Mark and myself) did better than the A Team on the last
question (name all KaTe's songs with "love" in the title) - we got
5 compared to the A Team's 3.

Geoff Parks