Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Love-hounds or blood-hounds

From: Mirko Bulaja <mbuly@math.hr>
Date: Mon, 2 May 94 12:02:25 METDST
Subject: Love-hounds or blood-hounds
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET (Love hounds)
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]

    This has been eating me for a few days, since I began to read
LH/Gaffa. This intro message was intended to be written in totally
different tone. But, that was a while ago, while I was reading '85
and '86 Gaffa archives. (Yap, there is indeed someone who is willing
to read'em all :) I think some of the persons around here should
go and read at least some bits of them, just to sample atmosphere
there. First of all - affection for Kate's music, sense of understanding
between that fans. There were some flames - but friendly ones, nor
personal, nor insulting.

    Full of hope, I begun to read LH/Gaffa. But there are nasty things
happening there. Flame after flame, and you can't tell who's flaming who.
The important thing - the KATE - seems to get lost among them. This kind
of flames which we can found today in LH/Gaffa always made me sad. Before
I discovered net.world I was BBS'er for a year or so. Remember one
incident. There was some discussion between two guys. Neither of them was
strictly right, but neither of them was wrong either. One guy started
flaming at the other. He gained a pseudo-macho lynching mob around himself,
and they flamed the hell out of the other guy. They made him go from that
BBS. Yet that wasn't enough for them. They made him go from Croatian BBS
network and major local BBSes. What have they gained from making him go?
(Sorry - this does not apply completly on this case, and I'm sure that
this stories happen every day on net.world and BBS.world) They "proved"
that they were right. Did they? To whom? To ones that kept eyes closed,
and let it all happen? (I was among them, and I was sorry later for not
standing up) To ones who had been passively enjoying it?

    So, flame me now for hating flames. That way you can stop this poor
soul from further posting here. Make me want to subscribe to Gaffa '85
and post there. That was the place where crossroads met. Did Doug and
others kept it alive so it would came to this? I would like to hear Doug,
and if there are any others from that early years. If it ever comes to
pick from moderated vs. unmoderated group I vote for moderated. If my
vote counts. OK. 'nuff said about flames.

    Another thing is bothering me. "Yes, she is a fox" line discussion.
Yes, I hold her beautiful. When I see her dancing I'm melting from inside.
But no sex-drive. "I respect her way too much to lust over her" (an early
Doug line, hope he doesn't mind me using it here). There is emotional
attachement, but on other level. Her music brings me almost spiritual
pleasure. I can't say that her look doesn't affect my oppinion on her
music at all, but it has _very_ little to do with it. I've never seen
Eddie Brickel, Suzanne Ciani or Julee Cruies and look. A miracle. It
doesn't stop me from enjoying their music too. And on the other side,
Peter Gabriel, Vangelis, Jarre... They also make wonderful music. And
they're not foxes. Go and make rec.sex.gaffa and talk about nipples.
This Woman's Work is too worthy to be judged upon her nipples.

    So, my two cents would be: "Take that line, and throw it in a lake".
If someone think reading this was total waste of time, feel free to flame.
I would enjoy wasting time on reading them too.

    Hope I'll get chance to write my real intro after this.

--
| Mirko Bulaja - mbuly@cromath.math.hr  |       "Is there so much Kate        |
| PMF-Zagreb, Department of Mathematics |        for the ones we love?"       |