Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-13 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Obnoxious "fox" line

From: "Constant Creativity, Perpetual Exhaustion"<JRYCENGA@POMONA.CLAREMONT.EDU>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 1994 11:32:36 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Obnoxious "fox" line
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET

On 29 April, P.R. Houghton observed:

>I still stand by my point however that Kate's sexulaity
>is an essential part of her music.  Whether you appreciate that or not, it is
>not
>a factor that cannot be denied.  It is an ingredient which goes into the
>recipe.
>
>If you consume the recipe and are unaware of the ingredient that just means
>that
>you can't appreciate it and doesn't stop it from being there.  Personally I
>can't
>see how anyone, male or female could fail to see it as an element of her music.

Well, to this I say, as a woman and as a lesbian, that I find Kate to be an
artist who does indeed include a highly _complex_ sexuality into her music.
Therefore, to reduce her to such a banal, objectified, and simplistic
descriptive as 'fox' is to have missed the point.  So, _because_ I find Kate to
be an artist and thinker who consciously includes the textures of sexuality,
desire, and gender into her work, I object to the 'fox' in the FAQ.

Jennifer Rycenga
jrycenga@pomona.claremont.edu