Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: What does it matter?

From: asteg@k12.ucs.umass.edu (Albert Steg (Winsor))
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 1994 15:08:03 GMT
Subject: Re: What does it matter?
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@k12.ucs.umass.edu (USENET News System)

In a previous article, RIDLEY@ZASU.SPRL.UMICH.EDU () says:

>Now let me put on my sexist suit:
>
>If a woman called me a hunk of burnin' love, I wouldn't be offended. I always
>think of compliments on my looks as being compliments on my looks, not sexist
>remarks which I should be offended by. I think people get a little uptight
>about things which (to me at least) seem silly. Call me four eyes not
>'vision impaired.' Call me an asshole not 'sexist.' See what I mean. I think
>people need to take a laxative and relax a little.
>
>I could put a smiley face, but I would have to kill myself afterwards...

I think your posting is a a level-headed and reasonable response, but I
would like to point out an important flaw in the very natural response that
people often make in considering gender and race issues.  When looking at a
statement or joke or image, men (in the case of gender) often respond with
the genune defense that:

		"I wouldn't mind if they said that about me."

Insofar as we often appeal to the "Do unto others" rule, this seems a fair
observation. The problem, though, is that such statements never have the
same impact on the "priveliged" group (here, males) as they do on the
offended group.  Usually, groups of people who are in positions of power are
less vulnerable than those who are on the receiving end of jokes and
demeaning name-calling.  For instance, consider the difference between
calling a black person "nigger" and calling a white person "whitey" (or any
other white expletive).
	If you "don't mind" being called something, but someone else does,
you might consider what accounts for the difference.
	This may be going a bit far off the  topic of this newsgroup,
(though not so far, it seems to me, as some other postings). In itself,
the "fox" issue is pretty small potatoes, but the way we think about it has
broader implications.

Again, Ridley (?), I hope you won't take this as a personal attack.  I think
your heart is in the right place.  I've seen this line of defense pretty
often though, and thought it would be worth responding to.

I'll risk a smiley face --my prose probably sounds pretty self-important.8-)

Albert
--
"When it was proclaimed that the Library contained all books,the
first impression was one of extravagant happiness. All men felt