Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The Fox in the FAQ

From: Peter Byrne Manchester <PMANCHESTER@ccmail.sunysb.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 1994 00:31:03 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: The Fox in the FAQ
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Cc: pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu

       In all fear and trembling, I'm like to make a suggestion about the
current `fox-in-the-FAQ' debate.  First off, it needs to be stipulated that
Vickie's observation has *authority*:

vickie@pilot.njin.net
> Why say *anything* about Kate's looks in the FAQ? There's no need to
> say "yes, she's a fox" or "yes, she is beautiful" or anything else.
> Those with eyes can see. It's as silly as saying "yes, she is a woman"
> or even "yes, she has two arms and two legs" because it's irrelevant
> to her *MUSIC*.
>
> Vickie

So far as the actual line in the current FAQ is concerned, I would say that
the issue is settled:  cut it.

       But as to what's involved here in appreciating Kate Bush's work is
concerned, I think some clarification is needed.  Most of those who make a
point about her physical presentation are responding to a feature of her
*actual work* that was particularly prominent in the Tour of Life and the
early videos, when her *music* was not the only element of her creative
effort.  Kate studied dance and mime, and to a degree that she has not really
returned to recently, at the early stage of her career she was a `performance
artist'.  Among the elements available to her was her capacity to mime a
whole range of stunning, staggeringly compelling, catastophically beautiful
presentations of a young woman at the peak of her power.

       It is impossible to watch "Kate Bush Live at Hammersmith Odeon"--all
we have left of her work in those years, except for snatches of video--
without recognizing the craft, intelligence, irony, and knowingness with
which she explored female physical presentation as an element of her art.
The standpoint from which she explored those tools was *never* vanity or
an attempt at titillation:  the leotard shot for "The Kick Inside" escaped
from her artistic control, and to this day is trivialized as a kind of silly
peekaboo--mainly because of the cropping, which is furtive and stupid.

       It has to be remembered that the context in which she first explored
the craft and drama of the presentation of female beauty was collaboration
with her oldest brother, John Carder Bush.  You have to connect the dots:
Cathy in the attic with her boots and feathers, and Kate Bush on the cover of
"The Whole Story," are a single thread.

       Do I think that there is a masculine idealization of female beauty
that Kate is now working to transcend--the youthful nymph?  Yes, I do.  But
the standpoint of the artist in this work is completely beyond the games of
tantilizing and allure that girls play with boys--or that women entering into
their majority play with the men they have decided to makes lives with.  Her
song "A Deal With God" (released with a title forced upon her, "Running Up
That Hill") makes clear that everything she has done with the resources given
her by God as a woman has been in the service of simple *human* reciprocity
and recognition.

       I say that Vickie rules:  purge the FAQ of the `fox' line, and don't
adjust it with `beautiful' or anything else.  Those who have eyes to see will
see.

                                                            Peter Manchester
       "Hear a woman singing"                  pmanchester@ccmail.sunysb.edu
                                                    72020.366@compuserve.com