Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Zaftig Foxes

From: WretchAwry <vickie@pilot.njin.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 94 0:11:12 EDT
Subject: Zaftig Foxes
To: kate.;@pilot.njin.net
Loves: Kate Bush..Happy Rhodes..Jane Siberry..Tori Amos..Peter Gabriel..

Wrt the silliness of mentioning Kate's looks in the FAQ, I think of it
this way...

In all the years I've been on gaffa, I don't recall anyone ever *asking*
if Kate is beautiful or not, so not only is it not a Frequently Asked
Question, it isn't even an Infrequently Asked Question.

Sure, there have been threads on Kate's looks, but everyone has their
opinion based on what they see (and hear, and feel) and doesn't need
to ask the basic question "Is Kate beautiful?" "Is Kate a fox?"

Also, at the risk of pushing my luck, I can't help but point out that
the last time I read the Peter Gabriel FAQ, I saw -zero- mentions of
his beauty, foxiness, zaftigness, hunkiness, or anything in that vein.
Is that an oversight, common sense, or is it because it isn't even an
issue? I daresay it sure isn't Political Correctness.

While I don't know the precise translation, the German word "zaftig"
is commonly meant to mean a larger person. Er, fat. I first heard
it in connection with the German actress Marianne Sagebrecht, star of
the film "Bagdad Cafe". I also heard Ricki Lake called zaftig when
the movie "Hair Spray" came out. Now, someone who can put tiny, lithe
Kate Bush into the same "category" by using the word zaftig has got
to be kidding. That's why I said "geez" and better for me to say geez
than to get into a big long discussion about his opinion. I'm way too
happy to engage in any flame wars just because someone's (ahem) TV set
is on the blink. :-)

Vickie (who's built more like Roseanne than Kate, but would love to be
as "zaftig" as that guy thinks Kate is)

"I've been influenced by society, to paint my face and hate my body...
    That doesn't mean I'm any better for it"  HTR