Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-12 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

The "O" of the Host

From: asteg@k12.ucs.umass.edu (Albert Steg (Winsor School))
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 1994 23:07:21 GMT
Subject: The "O" of the Host
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: usenet@k12.ucs.umass.edu (USENET News System)

In a previous article, nessus@mit.edu (Douglas Alan) says:

>Why Should I Love You
>---------------------
>
>The first time I heard this song, I thought that [insert bisexuality
>symbol here] had ruined might have otherwise been a good song.  Well,
>after listening to it some more, I've concluded that it's still a good
>song, but I'd still prefer to have heard what Kate might have done by
>herself.  Then again, a failed experiment might be better than none at
>all.  Unfortunately, the Trio are wasted here.  Has Kate gone
>Christian on us?  There's a lot of Christian references on this album.
>I'm not sure what purple, red, and grey have to with anything.  Or why
>it's the "O" of the Host.  But it sounds nice.  Grade: B-

	I can't say I'm very knowledgeable about the religious rituals of
various Christian sects, but it seems pretty clear to me that she's pulling
all the colors and imagery in that "L-O-V-E" section from the taking of
communion in a church.  Some of the "high" church sects involve lots of
plush velvet (purple, red) in their services.  The "O" of the  Host simply
refers to the shape of the communion wafer.
	Kate doesn't miss the sexual energy in a ritual like this.  All the
sensuous materials, the spiritual intensity of the moment, the parting of
lips to accept the taste of a lover --church isn't the only place this goes
on. I think this is a fabulous musical passage . . .her fairly quiet singing
is miked so close you can *feel* her mouth forming all the distinct letter
sounds of the words.  The variety of consonant sounds, in effect, give us a
guided tour of her mouth. --I was a little disappointed that she left the
closing sequence to the backup singers, because the rest of the song, though
pleasant enough, is pretty light.

	Incidentally, I've been pleased to see some other people find the
"fox" line irritating in some way.  As you can see, I'm not opposed to
discussing sexual elements in Kate's music, and I agree that her
attractiveness is part of her appeal, and part of her art.  Thanks to those
who have posted on the topic or who emailed me after that "fascist" flame.

							-Albert
--
"When it was proclaimed that the Library contained all books,the
first impression was one of extravagant happiness. All men felt