Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: All yours Cornflake Cornflake Cornflake Girl Aye Aye

From: at895@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Kevin F. Holy)
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 1994 20:09:42 -0400
Subject: Re: All yours Cornflake Cornflake Cornflake Girl Aye Aye
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

>Record Collectors magazine there is a feature on Tori.Well it includes a
>picture of Tori's Y KANT TORI READ album.The cover of the album is very
>VERY similar to Kate Bush's Babooshka pic.Well I just wonder does Tori
>"copy" Kate purposely or is she influenced greatly by Kate's brilliance?

Heh....Just to clarify..she is not influenced by Kate one bit! Cindy
Palmano who came up with the cover of LE, in an interview by The Caldwells
(runners of the RDT Fanzine), said specifically:

CP: Shooting time, we shot over two days. . . It was so long ago now that I
can hardly remember.

RDT: I know! I'm asking you to remember things that happened over two years
ago. I'm sure you've been asked this before, but comparisons have been made
between the U.S. Cover for Kate Bush's _The Kick Inside_ and the cover
photo of Tori for _Little Earthquakes_. Both artists are pictured in a
wooden crate.

CP: I don't know what you're talking about, actually.

RDT: I feel silly now. Kate Bush's first album pictured her in a wooden
crate...

CP: Did it?! I had no idea.

RDT: When Tori's album came out there was talk among Kate Bush fans [that's
you! =)] that it might be some sort of reference to Kate.

CP: There is no such thing as a new idea. I'll tell you where the crate
came from. What I make as part of a picture always is relevant. It's never
there without having had a thought process behind it and around it or
explored, because that's the way I work. The box wasn't there just because
it was a box. I had the box made specifically because it was a
simplifications of the idea of _Alice In Wonderland). Tori was de-scaled,
hence the tiny piano, too.

Anything that's a good idea, if it works, it doesn't matter if it comes
from a conceptual basis or if it just works. I really rate Kate Bush, I
think she's great. I'm sure that her album cover was good. Maybe I did see
it. Maybe I have seen it and maybe it did come up as a subliminal thing.
But who knows where things come from? I certainly wasn't consciously aware
of it.

 --
I hope this ends the recent last two year's controversy for a while, even
though some newbie will come later and say "Hey look..LE and TKI have both

--
--                If I cry me a river of all my confessions,
                      will I drown in my shallow regret?