Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: I'm irritated at EMI . . .

From: Angus Rae <angusr@festival.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 1994 09:09:26 GMT
Subject: Re: I'm irritated at EMI . . .
To: rec-music-gaffa@britain.eu.net
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

throttled by meredith (woj@remus.rutgers.edu) wrote:
: "Karen L. Newcombe" <kln@crl.com> sez:
: >And splitting the two versions of TRS into two CDs in two separate weeks
: >REALLY bugs me.  I work in marketing and don't like to see this sort of
: >cheesy crap associated with God and Her Music!
: the other way to look at this is that emi thinks KaTe has enough chart
: potential (at least in england) that she merits a two part single to
: place her on the same playing field as others in the uk charts. while
: there is a rash of two part singles these days, it seems to be the
: popular artists who have them the most.

It's also bloody Gallup's rules as well, at least I think it's still
Gallup - I seem to recall reading somewhere that they'd lost the
contract or something like that. Anyway, (as quite a few of you will
know) a single isn't included if it has more than 4 tracks, although I
think remixes of the title track aren't included. A two part single, or
an ordinary/limited release, gets round this and both will count towards
the charts. So if you're a particularly prolific artist, like the T
word, you can have umpteen B-sides and still count as a single. However,
EMI do seem to be bandwagoning here... KaTe is many things, but
"prolific" is not one of them. :-)

Does the 12" have different tracks this time? That annoyed me with MoP -
I don't normally buy vinyl, Tom Lehrer notwithstanding, but they had to
go and put a different track on the 12"...
--
Angus G Rae				          Biological User Support
3217a James Clerk Maxwell Building	          University of Edinburgh