Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-10 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Dead Bird

From: Alex Gibbs <arg@kilimanjaro.opt-sci.Arizona.EDU>
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 1994 05:00:19 -0700
Subject: Re: The Dead Bird
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

fmcquarr@upei.ca (Fiona McQuarrie) writes:
> Well, Jeffrey, believe that I too am concerned about the dead bird in
> Kate's movie. From everyone's comments it sounds like it was a pretty
> realistic death. Maybe it *is* special effects, but I suspect I am
> not the only one who would like some official (i.e. Kate-based)
> reassurance that it is indeed so.

To perhaps increase information, in the "video" for ASiL there isn't a
single shot where a moving bird becomes lifeless.  A bird does hit a
dingy window and _flutters_ downward, off camera.  This seems to be
the main shot where a bird could have been injured.  The camera was
fixed on a couple panes of a huge, wall-sized window, like of a
studio, and the bird hit there.  It certainly looks real but it would
seem rather difficult to get this shot without some sort of
preparation or tricks.

After that there are shots of a dead bird, almost certainly a real
one.  It's probably stuffed since I doubt they would make a fake one
when there are already stuffed ones anyway and it seems rather stiff
too.  A bird is never shown actually dying or obviously injured
anyway.  Hope this helps.