Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: Frank Gaffa

From: nudeadguy@aol.com (NudeAdGuy)
Date: 29 Mar 1994 12:13:02 -0500
Subject: Re: Frank Gaffa
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@aol.net

In article <19112.9402092322@thor.cf.ac.uk>, spxscr@thor.cf.ac.uk (simon
roberts) writes:

...similarities between Frank's and Kate's music...

Kate Bush was recently asked by some music magazine what albums she was
listening to recently--she mentioned "Overnight Sensation" and Beefheart's "Bat
Chain Puller." I think the similarities in Kate's and Frank's work are more
philosophical than musical--both did (or do) what they want to do, with little
concern for outside opinion. That's Kate's strongest trait, as it was Frank's.

Also, if you want to study the subject matter of their songs closely, both have
written about sex (especially oral--compare "Catholic Girls" and "In the Warm
Room"), it's just that Frank doesn't use symbolism. He just says it. (As he was
fond of saying to reporters: "I'm a reporter. Just like you."