Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-09 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: TRS Peeves & ftp.UU.NET problems

From: silo@aol.com
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 94 23:28:01 EST
Subject: Re: TRS Peeves & ftp.UU.NET problems
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Sender: "silo" <silo@aol.com>

I tried mailing this back on 3/10/94 and got it returned to me from
MAILER-DAEMON@uunet.uu.net with a subject line which read:

Subj:  Returned mail: Cannot send message for 3 days

and:

421 ftp.uu.net.tcp-local... Deferred: Connection refused by ftp.UU.NET

Anyone wishing a copy of my returned mail for debugging purposes can
send me e-mail to that effect.  To me it looks like the ftp.uu.net machine
may be been down for maintanence or something.

Here is my post again:

Peter Manchester writes:

> Diva is indeed Latin for 'goddess', but the Latin in turn
> derives from the Indo-European root *deiwo meaning 'shining',
> from which Sanskrit takes its name for the great Goddess, Devi,
> object of an enormously popular cult and source of kundalini
> yoga and tantrism in India and Tibet.  In much 19th century
> English writing about Indic religion she is called Diva, and I
> strongly suspect that she is the specific goddess Kate has in
> mind.  Devi/Diva has two aspects:  Shakti, consort of Shiva
> and dancer of maya (creation and illusion); and Kali, death
> and destruction, represented in images with a circle of skulls
> around her.  The cover art for the MoP single clearly calls Kali
> to mind, as others have observed here before.  It would seem very
> katelike for the image to express both aspects at once:  Devi-Kali.

I don't know why but this is exactly what my brain thinks when it hears
that line of the song.  Have I watched too many Indian Jones movies?

BTW, I tried to write LAST Thursday to tell about the Kate Bush / Peter
Gabiel duet I saw listed for 2AM on CBS's "Night Flight"  (USA TV show
folks).  I never saw my post show up in the digest but did see it show
up under AOL's new Usenet news group thingie.  I assume you who get
loose mail received it.

It turns out the duet was the usual "Don't Give UP!" hugging video.  I
was hoping it was the live concert appearance, though I suppose this
was never taped...

--Mike Knight
silo@aol.com