Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

A little on Brigid . . .

From: "Karen L. Newcombe" <kln@crl.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 1994 10:05:08 -0800 (PST)
Subject: A little on Brigid . . .
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

There is a wealth of info out there on Brigid for those who asked about
her (I mentioned her in relation to the "Holy Land of Ireland" quote).

One place to start is in "The Women's Dictionary" by good ole what's her
name . . . Barbara um um . . . Shit, you hit 30 and your brain dies!

Anyway, she compiles info from 25 or 30 sources on Brigid, who was not
only the Celtic goddess of poetry, but also of battle.  Hence we have
"Brigands" roaming the countryside causing trouble and reciting drunken
poetry about their own escapades (I remember doing that!  Well, some part
of my brain must still work).

Besides, as every good Klingon knows, a warrior must also be able to toss
off an accomplished poem.

The best thing about "The Women's Dictionary" is the extensive list of
notes and references, which one can then haul off to the library and look
directly at the sources.

You might want to check it out for info on Marian and Isolde . . . hey,
Marian, Robin Hood, wasn't Robin Hood a brigand?

Enough mindless maundering . . . and I didn't even mention Kate!  Blasphemy!

Karen  kln@crl.com