Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-07 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: beauty, meaning, and other things out of fashion...

From: David.Vinson@lambada.oit.unc.edu (david eugene vinson)
Date: 23 Feb 1994 13:59:38 GMT
Subject: Re: beauty, meaning, and other things out of fashion...
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <CLE4H5.CIF@ucdavis.edu>,  <wagreiner@ucdavis.edu> wrote:
>In article <2jmm7n$1o4@cmcl2.NYU.EDU> rbm9295@acfcluster.nyu.edu writes:
>>

>Well, I guess we all have our opinions on "the good old days" of music.
>Personally, I think it all started to go downhill with the album that
>has had the largest negative impact in popular music history:  Sgt. Pepper's
>Lonely Heart's Club Band.  After all, that was the album which, it seems
>to me started the trend towards substituting tape effects and cutting
>and pasting for the ability to perform musically.  I mean without
>Sgt. Peppers would we have had to deal with the likes of Yes, Pink Floyd,
>ELP, Genesis, and all that art rock stuff?

Uh, gee, I like most of that art rock stuff. If I still like Kate, am I
allowed to be here despite my ignorant adoration of complicated
arrangements and tricky time signatures? Uhhh, wait, did I just describe
Yes or Kate? I'm so confused.

>Well, me too, but I must confess I'm pining for the early sixties and
>not for the 70's...

Yeah, dig that crazy Pat Boone

dave
--
   The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of the University of
     North Carolina at Chapel Hill, the Campus Office for Information