Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: The Dreaming

From: inf2gr01@informatik.uni-frankfurt.de (Info-2 Gruppe 01)
Date: 20 Feb 1994 12:46:55 GMT
Subject: Re: The Dreaming
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In <9402071739.AAwcgc05954@relay1.UU.NET> V1180G%TEMPLEVM.BITNET@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Rob Petrone) writes:

>I'm not trying to flame anyone here, I'm just searching for a "deeper
>understanding."  Could someone tell me *why* The Dreaming is nearly
>everyone's favorite KaTe album?  I always thought the album exalted
>production over substance and that the lyrics were no more deep than
>anything else she's ever done.  Neither do the compositions strike
>me as masterpieces.  So what is it?  WHY does everyone love this
>album so much

It's my favourite Kate Album because it is _weird_, the production
is aweso and experimental, the lyrics are surrealistic, the compositions
are both progressive and accessible - and finally because it is a brave
album. The first production she did all by herself. It became so arty, so
expressive. I wished TRS had more of that.

by the way, Is there anyone else here who sees the relation between
 'The Dreaming' and Peter Gabriel's third album ?
Both were pioneers in Fairlight usage and have a similiar feel in them,
I think.

Kris Kelvin
?