Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

RE: The dreaming

From: GRAHAM.G.R.DOMBKINS@BHPMELMSM.x400.bhp.com.au
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 1994 17:09:43 +1000
Subject: RE: The dreaming
To: Love-Hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Autoforwarded: false
Registered-Mail-Reply-Requested-By: GRAHAM.G.R.DOMBKINS@BHPMELMSM.x400.bhp.com.au
Ua-Content-Id: 080717180294
X400-Mts-Identifier: [/PRMD=BHPMEL04/ADMD=TELEMEMO/C=AU/;BHPMELMM Feb 1817:07:08 1994]

Dave sez...
>Just my opinion, but I think that "the dreaming isn't "Macabre humor,"
>but rather a statement about the stealing of Australia from
>the Aboriginals..."You dangle devils in a bottle and a-pull 'em
>from the pull of the bush."  The dreaming is the Creation myth/belief
>if the Aboriginals, and the distinctly Aboriginal instrumentation
>(with the didgeridoo) seems to augment this message.  The Australians
>passed off the wonderful habit of heavy drinking onto the Aboriginals
>in much the same manner as the Americans did to the Indians...
>
>Any othert thoughts on this?

    Actually, you'll find that the heavy breathing that KaTe does in TD is
based off of the distinctive breathing/singing style of Rolf Harris, a famous
Australian singing personality from yesteryear. Way back in the 70's, the only
contact (or impression) that anyone O/S would have of Australia would be
through the efforts of people like Rolf. KaTe remembered and used that style,
to get what she felt was an Australian feel to TD, (quite funny when you think
about it) :-)

    As for the plight of the Aboriginal people, I suppose it's the same
everywhere in the world where you have the clash of high pressure, power driven
Western society with an old world culture. We *are* trying to redress the
mistakes of some two hundred years of domination but generations of hatred and
social injustice can't be forgotten in the space of only a few years. Both
sides of the fence have some very harsh views. Attempting to find a middle
ground that will bring a lasting reconciliation was helped by music like KaTe's
TD bringing the plight of a section of people in our country to the notice of a
whole younger generation. I remember that TD was a very big hit here in
Australia all those years ago and all the talk that arose from it's content.

               :  Graham Dombkins
      /\/\     :  Personal Computer Services
     / / /\    :  BHP Information Technology
    / / /  \   :  PO Box 261, Warrawong, NSW 2502, AUSTRALIA
   / / / /\ \  :  A.C.N. 006 476 218
   \ \/ / / /  :  Phone       +61-42-757113
    \  / / /   :  Fax         +61-42-757908
     \/\/\/    :  E-mail      GRAHAM.G.R.DOMBKINS@bhpmelmsm.x400.bhp.com.au
               :  AppleLink   AUST0387
      "Hello Earth!!                    "I'm chasing nuns
       hello Earth..." - KT              out in the yard..." - TA