Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

You're the One - a vote for

From: steve.b@TQS.COM (Steve Berlin)
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 94 15:47:53 PST
Subject: You're the One - a vote for
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

A lot of folks who should know better but obviously don't have been pooh-
poohing the song "You're the One".  In my humble yet still entirely correct
opinion, this is a wonderful song.  I *LIKE* cheesy Hammond Organ blues songs!
As for the lyrics, if you've ever had a relationship break up, if you can't
relate to this song, please inform us what species you belong to since it is
obviously not one which has emotions.

Some folks (you know who you are, |>oug) then say they don't like it "because
it's not Kate's genre".  They say they want something NEW.  Well, it's new to
Kate!  Now, if she did ANOTHER cheese Hammond Organ Blues Song, THAT would be
(probably) dissapointing since she's been there before.  As for The Dreaming
and The Ninth Wave:  One of the reasons they're so wonderful is that they
CAN NOT be pigeonholed into ANY genre!  No, Kate has ALREADY done six
impossible things before breakfast.  She put out Never For Ever, at the time
The Most Wonderful Album Ever Made.  I didn't think it was possible to make
something better, but then she made The Dreaming, which then became The Most
Wonderful Album Ever Made.  I didn't think it was possible to get better than
that, and then she made Hounds of Love, which is NOT the most wonderful album
ever made, but The Ninth Wave is a VERY strong contender for being better
than even The Dreaming itself!

So at this point, I stand where I did 10 years ago - I do not think it
possible to make a better album than The Dreaming, but I will be very glad
to be proven wrong.  Just by these credentials, She Still Is, and don't
you forget it!

Finally, to get back to "You're The One":  For me, it passes the Madonna
Test.  When listening to something new from someone I Really, Really like,
I pretend it's done by someone I can't stand (hence the name of the test).
Most of The Red Shoes and ALL of The Sensual World passes for me.

(Yes, I also have The Kate Test, which is The Madonna Test in reverse.
Believe it or not, some stuff passes!)

So yeah, I would probably like a Kate Speed Metal album, I MIGHT like a
Kate Rap or Country album, and would probably HATE a Kate Techno album.

- Stev0 the testy

"neeee neeee neeeeeeee neeeee neeeee neeeeeeee (meow)"
- Cheesey Hammond organ at the end of "The Letter"