Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

No Subject

From: news@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (USENET News)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 94 12:36:41 -0500
To: rec-music-gaffa@gatech.edu

Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
From: davebrap@sage.cc.purdue.edu (Dave)
Subject: The dreaming
Sender: news@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (USENET News)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 1994 17:36:35 GMT

Just my opinion, but I think that "the dreaming isn't "Macabre humor,"
but rather a statement about the stealing of Australia from
the Aboriginals..."You dangle devils in a bottle and a-pull 'em
from the pull of the bush."  The dreaming is the Creation myth/belief
if the Aboriginals, and the distinctly Aboriginal instrumentation
(with the didgeridoo) seems to augment this message.  The Australians
passed off the wonderful habit of heavy drinking onto the Aboriginals
in much the same manner as the Americans did to the Indians...

Any othert thoughts on this?