Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

We are of water . . .

From: "Karen L. Newcombe" <kln@crl.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 1994 11:06:36 -0800 (PST)
Subject: We are of water . . .
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

The actual quote is "We are of water and of the holy land of water, and
time runs on, she cried . . ."

Which is a word play on a poem by W.B. Yeats which begins "We are of Ireland
and of the Holy Land of Ireland, and Time runs on She cried", which is in
turn a poetic use of an ancient prayer which over the  years has been
incorporated into folk songs and suchlike, which is where Yeats found it.

The oldest version I've seen is a prayer to Brigid, the goddess of
poetry who was christianized as "St. Brigid", and dates from the late
1300s.  If I can find it in my desk I'll post it -- so many little bits
of paper with stuff like that on them floating around I can't promise,
but I may be able to track it down somewhere else.

By the way, anyone who comes up with literary references to the Ninth
Wave, I'm collecting them in a haphazard way for no discernable purpose.
My subconcious is up to something . . .

Karen Newcombe  kln@crl.com