Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: beauty, meaning, and other things out of fashion...

From: jeffy@syrinx.umd.edu (Jeffrey C. Burka)
Date: 16 Feb 1994 00:22:13 GMT
Subject: Re: beauty, meaning, and other things out of fashion...
To: rec-music-gaffa@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa

In article <NESSUS.94Feb14171443@twitch.mit.edu> nessus@mit.edu (Douglas Alan) writes:

>If it's any consolation, Tori Amos's first album went platinum (i.e.
>sold a million copies) based mostly on word of mouth and Tori's
>incredible touring stamina.

Gee, and I thought it had something to do with the amazing publicity blitz
that Atlantic launched after _LE_ was released...including the 1 hour MTV
special and the various talk show *performance* appearances (including both
Letterman and Leno).  And let's not forget the radio appearances...

I won't argue that Tori's touring abilities had nothing to do with her
success.  But I think you're missing a whole lot of willingness on Tori's
part to do extra sorts of publicity and Atlantic's willingness to push her.
KaTe and Columbia/EMI have done nothing of the sort.

Jeff

--
|Jeffrey C. Burka     | "Everything is still with a fear of never coming out |
|Suffering Bad Grammar|  Never following through / Never ever finishing      |