Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-06 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Re: beauty, meaning, and other things out of fashion...

From: nessus@mit.edu (Douglas Alan)
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 1994 22:14:43 GMT
Subject: Re: beauty, meaning, and other things out of fashion...
Newsgroups: rec.music.gaffa
Sender: news@media.mit.edu (USENET News System)

In article <2jmm7n$1o4@cmcl2.NYU.EDU> rbm9295@acfcluster.nyu.edu writes:

>	   Any theories on how we went from an age, in the '70's, when
>   truly great music had a decent chance of becoming popular, due to
>   the strength of its appeal, word of mouth, etc, to an age in which
>   Marky Mark and Snoop Doggy Dog reign atop the charts?

If it's any consolation, Tori Amos's first album went platinum (i.e.
sold a million copies) based mostly on word of mouth and Tori's
incredible touring stamina.  All that crotch rubbing must keep up her
strength!  Now, if only Kate would grab her piano and play 200 nights
a year in little clubs, she might also sell a million records here in
the good ol' US of A.

|>oug

P.S.  Anyone have any idea how many total albums Kate has sold in the
U.S. to date?