Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-05 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

re: Love Hounds digest 10.36

From: CS6347@ACSPR1.acs.brockport.edu
Date: 08 Feb 94 22:31:27 EST
Subject: re: Love Hounds digest 10.36
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET

Jon Drukman writes:

>Rob Petrone jabs a stick in a hornets' nest:
>>Could someone tell me *why* The Dreaming is nearly everyone's
>>favorite KaTe album?  I always thought the album exalted production
>>over substance

>problem 1: you've got it all wrong - the production is deeply entwined
>with the substance.  the album is a triumph of SOUND crafting... the
>words are just part of it.  "sat on your lap" done as a folky tune
>with an acoustic guitar and bongos just wouldn't work.

I heartily agree. One of the best musical listening experiences I've
ever had was listening to The Dreaming in surround sound. Wow!!! Talk
About the songs jumping out at you. I have a hard time going back
to listening to it normally these days after that. If any has access
to a surround sound processor definitely try this out. Especially
impressive are Pull Out The Pin and Leave It Open.

Michael Butler writes:

>|>oug asks:
>>Does anyone know what the Rose of Sharon and the Lily of the Valley
>>are?

>Sharon is/was a fertile coastal area in Palestine.  They both strike me
>as literary-scriptural sweet talk, but I'm not coming up with a referent
>at present.  Damned cold medication  ;)

Lily of The Valley was a novel by Balzac but I doubt this is what
Kate is referring to.

>>  Who are Isolde and Marion, and how do they relate to the song?

>Just literary allusions, again: Isolde I know (the lover of
>Tristan/Tristram; she is also called Iseult).  Marion I suspect is
>Maid Marion (inamorata of Robin Hood), but I'm not 100% sure of it.

>The story of Tristram and Iseult is part of the Arthurian Romance--
>she was the daughter of King Angush of Ireland who became the wife of
>King Mark of Cornwall.  But she and Tristram met and fell in love.
>*Boom*  Insert complicated, passionate love affair...

To add to this (from my trusty Reader's Encyclopedia) Isolde fled
with Tristan because of this love affair. Quoting RE, "It is through
the treachery of Isolde of the White Hands that Sir Tristan or Tristam
dies, and that Isolde dies in consequence. The story has it that King
Mark buried the two in one grave, and planted over it a rose-bush and
vine, which so intermingled their branches as they grew up that no man
could separate them." Hmmmm... The two being buried in one grave
reminds me of Cathy and Heathcliff.

Damien writes:
>...I hate when DJ's give their
>shallow opinions of the music, etc, especially when it is my favorite
>stuff).  Well, thanks for the info...

yeah, I remember the first time I saw the video for Rubberband
Girl on MTV's alternative nation. Kennedy called Kate a prolific
artist. Not exactly what one would call an artist who releases
an album about once every three or four years.

-chris