Gaffaweb > Love & Anger > 1994-04 > [ Date Index | Thread Index ]

Where's Armando Gallo? (Re: Going into the crowds...

From: vickie@pilot.njin.net (Vickie Mapes)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 94 05:35:55 EST
Subject: Where's Armando Gallo? (Re: Going into the crowds...
To: love-hounds@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: alt.music.peter-gabriel

(cc'ing to rec.music.gaffa from alt.music.peter-gabriel)

nagjpw@vax.oxford.ac.uk (Jeremy Walton) writes:

>Yes.  I've seen him do this at least twice in his shows.  In Armando
>Gallo's book, there's a page or two of pictures of him before, during and
>after the dive (see also the picture on the back cover of "Plays Live",
>which (I think) was also taken by Gallo)

Not Gallo, but I can't remember the name of the woman who did. Margaret...
I forget her last name. She's in her 60s or 70s (by now, possibly) and
she used to live in southern Missouri, in the Ozarks.

(I know I shouldn't post on the fly, without having the correct info
in front of me if I'm going to correct someone else. It's just that
I know for sure it wasn't Armando Gallo.)

Speaking of....does anyone know what Armando is up to now? We used to
be semi-friends. I met him during the Duke tour when he was traveling
with the band promoting "I Know What I Like." In 1984 my guy and I
visited him at his home in Los Angeles and he took us down into his
workroom. I had to make an effort to keep my mouth closed because it
was hanging open in amazement. He had *thousands* of photos all over
the place. By then he wasn't so much a Genesis fan anymore, but he
was still a Gabriel fan and talked about putting together the book
he eventually did release. He was also a huge Kate Bush fan and had
tons of photos he had taken of her. We picked out one that we especially
liked and he blew it up to 8x10 for us, and signed the back. In 1985 we
were able to have Kate herself sign the front and it's our most cherished
Kate-related item (er, one of them). He wanted to put together a Kate
photo book, but I'm sure it never happened. He had some wonderful photos
though. Kate let him photgraph her while she was having her makeup
applied. She was sitting outside on a balcony and behind her were lush
green trees topped by eerie fog. (These photos were taken in 1982 during
an Italian promotion for the song "The Dreaming")

Anyway, he sold his home in LA and moved back to Italy, and since then
I haven't heard a word about him. He had given me his mother's phone
number, but the one time I tried it, she (or whoever it was that answered
the phone) didn't speak a word of English and unfortunately I couldn't
speak any Italian. I've long-since lost that number anyway. Has anyone
heard anything he's done recently? I hate losing contact with people :-(,
especially someone as wonderful as Armando Gallo.)

Vickie